You’ve heard the term thrown around, especially if you’ve heard someone say they “make 6 figures.” Which sounds fancy, but you’re left wondering “what is a 6 figure salary?”
We love numbers, math, and money here at Entirely Money, so you’ll have a good understanding of what different salary figures mean by the end of this.
How Much is a Figure Worth?
The easiest way to explain how much different amounts are worth is to start small with how much is 1 figure worth.
1 figure would be anything from 1 dollar to 9 dollars.
As you can see, a figure is the same thing as a digit. So we are just counting the number of digits to the left of the decimal point.
This means that if you were getting paid $9.99, you’d be making 1 figure.
So, How much is 6 figures?
Six figures starts at $100,000 and goes all the way up to $999,999.
How much is 100k?
The k on the end is basically short for thousand. This means that 100k is equal to 100 thousand, or in all numerical values 100,000.
What Jobs pay 100k a year?
We reviewed data from the US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Highest Paying Occupations and here are the 20 occupations with the highest median annual pay, all of these are 6 figure jobs:
- Anesthesiologists – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Surgeons – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Orthodontists – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Psychiatrists – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Physicians and Surgeons, all other – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Obstetricians and Gynecologists – Equal to or greater than $208,000 a year
- Family and General Practitioner – $198,740 a year
- Internists, general – $192,930 a year
- Dentists, all other specialists – $190,840 a year
- Prosthodontists – $185,150 a year
- Chief Executives – $183,270 a year
- Pediatricians, general – $172,650 a year
- Nurse Anesthetists – $165,120 a year
- Dentists, general – $151,440 a year
- Computer and Information systems managers – $139,220 a year
- Architectural and Engineering Managers – $137,710 a year
- Airline Pilots, copilots, and flight engineers – $137,330 a year
- Judges, magistrate judges, and magistrates – $133,840 a year
- Petroleum Engineers – $132,280 a year
How much is 7 figures?
Seven figures salary would start at $1,000,000 and will go all the way up to $9,999,999.
A 7 figure salary can be shown in a few different ways.
- 1 million in numbers would be 1,000,000
- In words, it would be one million dollars
- Shown as an abbreviation would be $1M, with the M meaning million.
What jobs pay 7 figures?
These clearly aren’t going to be your run of the mill jobs. So you’re highly likely not going to find an online job posting or a classified ad for this.
You’ll find CEOs and some other top management of large corporations here. Some Investments bankers, and even some lawyers and doctors who own their own practice and do very well.
An example of a 7 figure earner is Nick Saban, head coach of Division 1 football team Alabama. He is set to earn a base salary of $7.5M or $7,500,000 based on his most recent contract.
How Much is 8 Figures?
An eight figure salary would range from $10,000,000 to $99,999,999.
These are much rarer than your 7 figure earners.
You’ll find some high-level executives of very large corporations in this level. Additionally, this is where you’ll find some of the top paid athletes of the NBA, NFL, and MLB.
What jobs pay 8 figures?
We looked to Forbes Highest Paid Celebrity listing to show off who makes eight figures. Actually, we started looking here for 7 figure incomes, but the list doesn’t go that low.
So here are some 8 figure salary jobs from Forbes listing:
- Conor McGregor is the highest 8 figure earner on the list at $99M in 2018 earnings.
- Lebron James earned $85.5M
How Much is 9 figures?
A nine-figure salary puts you into an even rarer territory.
This means making between $100,000,000 and $999,999,999. That seems obscene even typing that.
What Jobs Pay 9 Figures?
I don’t think you’ll really find any jobs that pay this salary.
However, there are people on the Forbes list that hit this high mark. In fact, the top 11 people on this list hit that number including:
- Floyd Mayweather – $285M
- Kylie Jenner – $166.5M
How Much is 10 figures?
I think you have the picture by now, but we’ll cover one last crazy example.
A 10 figure salary is between $1,000,000,000 and $9,999,999,999. For those who lost track of the number of digits, that is $1 billion dollars to over $9 billion dollars.
What jobs pay 10 figures?
If you are anything like me, I expected not to find anyone in this group.
However, there are some major hedge fund managers who managed to eclipse this mark.
In fact, in 2011, according to Forbes there were 3 individuals who exceeded this amount:
- Ray Dalio of Bridgewater Associates – $3.9B (that’s a B for billions)
- Carl Icahn of Icahn Capital Management – $2.5B
- James H. Simons of Rennaissance Technologies Corp – $2.1B
If that seems crazy, in 2010, there were six hedge fund managers who exceeded that amount.
How much is 5 figures?
Let’s bring everyone back to earth with an easy one.
While we may all dream of making a million or millions, or even winning this kind of money. The reality is most people will make a 5 figure salary.
A five-figure salary starts at $10,000 and goes up to $99,999. So if you’re making $40k a year, you a making a 5 figure salary.
If you’re at this level and it’s not enough, we share some great ways to make more money.
Once you go through a few examples it’s pretty easy to answer the question “how much is 6 figures salary?”
And while that is a nice income, some of the 7,8, 9, and even 10 figure incomes make that 6 figure salary pale in comparison.
While you won’t make millions, you can start making some extra money today taking surveys with one of our favorites.